Friday 10 May 2013

What if you are wrong, dear Atheist?


Dearly Beloved Atheist;
 
We are gathered here today because, well, you decided to read my post. By the way, thank you for that, I do enjoy seeing the amounts of “views” of my blog posts sky-rocketing. But this is an earnest message. When something sounds funny to you, please do not be offended. I choose to bring a light sentence in, here and there, just to show that this is not a bashing post that is trying to force something on to you.
 
So I am an eager news reader. I love reading the news. When I get tired of working and have to take a break here and there, I read the news. Serious news, business news, news related to my field of work and then also entertainment news (just in case something serious pops up, or to keep up with Hollywood mainly). By “something serious” I refer to examples such as the other day when I clicked on Google News: Entertainment, and South Africa’s “Failing Education System” popped up. I do not regard our challenged education system as a laughing matter…. But I did find the appearance of this highly worrisome news under the Google News: Entertainment section, rather… well entertaining.
 
Aaaaaanyway, back to the point of discussion.  I like reading the news, and aside from reading on all of the above topics, I also like to read some Opinion Articles. And I get absolutely intrigued when I see all these passionate opinion articles written by dedicated atheists. My question to you today, dearest Atheist, is why are you so desperate in trying to convince the world that there is no god? If there is no god, then what are you so fierce about? If others believe that there is a god, then it shouldn’t bother you that much now should it? Think about it this way: Does it bother you that some people sincerely believe that fairies and mermaids do exist? I am guessing No. Will it bother you if there are people who actually, seriously, believe in vampires and werewolves? Again… No? Why do you not argue with them the way you do with people who believe that there is a god. And why, dear Atheist, do you have such a huge problem with Christians, in particular?
 
When someone dares making a statement on their own Christian faith and experiences, the comments get heated and almost desperate. Atheists attack that person to such an extent, that I sometimes wonder if you are afraid of the possibility that you might be wrong… Is it perhaps possible that, amongst all the beliefs there exist, Christianity might be striking a "truth-nerve"?
 
That brings me to the ultimate question: What if you are wrong? What if you die today and all is not black, or nothingness, but that there actually IS a hell and a heaven. Where do you think you would go? What would you say? What if there is a place you will be spending eternity in? What if that place is Hell? Eternal torture. Eternal… Ever thought about the word "Eternal"? Imagine eternal sickness, excruciating pain, tiredness, torture torture torture torture… ETERNAL TORTURE. Ever thought about the word "Torture"?
 
I am a solid reborn Christian. Filled with the Holy Spirit. With it come gifts, power and favour that go far beyond what I can describe. You have to experience it to understand it. I want to share with you today that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came to save you as well. There is no such thing as a perfect human being. And ultimately no-one deserves to go to heaven. But God did not want this for us, and decided to intervene. Jesus Christ suffered torture, humiliation, ridicule, death and everything else we deserve, in our place. He took the punishment for all those things we just cannot seem to get perfect onto Himself, so that those of us who believe in what He did for us, can go to Heaven when we die here on earth. That is GRACE: Giving something to someone lovingly, without that person necessarily deserving it. Dear Atheist, He did it for you as well. But you still have a choice: either you decide to take this Gift of Salvation and Believe, or not. 
 
I had to add the previous paragraph to show you that there is Hope. Thinking of eternity and torture and hell, well..., is depressing enough. I had to share some Good News with you.
 
What you ultimately decide, is up to you. But think about it. And don’t try to be so desperate in convincing Christians that they are wrong. Just think about this… what if YOU are wrong??
 
Please take note that I will not entertain sneer remarks and comments on this post. I am sharing out of love. Just read it and think about it. If you decide not to agree, that is your choice.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Carin. Carin van Zyl? I hope that is really your name because it is awesome. What ethnicity is it? If it's fake, please disregard.

    Why do I speak out against religion. A few reasons. First, other mythical beliefs haven't reached critical mass to enter into politics and oppress others. Atheists in some countries can't admit to their atheism without fear of being kicked out or killed. Religions assign otherwise morally neutral actions as sinful making life hard for sexually out-of-the-box people. This includes everything that has no victims from masturbators to gays. Besides this, I only want to educate people who are open to an education.

    I focus on Christianity because it's what I know and what I was. Most outspoken atheists are from areas where Christianity is most popular. Muslim countries, for example, don't let their atheists speak out for the most part.

    What is I'm wrong? Well, who knows? If there is an being with control of an afterlife, we really can't assume anything about his/her/its nature. If it was me, I certainly wouldn't punish anyone who honestly sought the truth and came to atheism. For all we know, God might reward atheism, reversing this wager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grundy (Real name?)

    Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your honesty and non-aggressive approach. And I think we could have been friends if you did not stay in the US (which is a bit far from where I am - South Africa).

    Yes, Carin is my real name and Van Zyl is my surname (well, its the one I got from my husband... I tried convincing him to take my maiden name, which is Wiese, but he wouldn't. Haha). I am an imperfect human, have a sense of humour not really understood by many people - BUT I do like to laugh at my own jokes, so that is alright. Like you, I live in an imperfect world and appreciate education. And as you already know, I love Jesus :) Thank you for the compliment on my name :)

    Yeah religion. Ah it really ticks me off. Religion makes people feel unloved, unwanted, judged, undeserving of anything good and condemned. And loads of terrible things are being done in the name of religion. Jesus also did not like religion. Which is why He got into those heated confrontations with the Pharisees. Now those people were religious hey? They were the ones who condemned people and looked down on them when they couldn't uphold the laws of Moses as "perfectly" as they could. But their hearts were loveless, and they knew it, which is why none of them could bring themselves to "cast the first stone".

    Ah, look at me getting all carried away. I will stop now.

    So I had to click on your name and saw that you like poker. Can you tell me how to keep my cool when playing poker with my in-laws? They get so emotional and loud during a game, and it makes me real aggro. I guess a poker-face is actually not something that comes naturally... sigh...

    I also saw that you have a real busy blog. I am a bit new at this (blogging). But I like being able to express myself a bit more publicly and I enjoy reading other people's views.

    Thanks again for taking time to comment. I enjoyed hearing from you.

    Have a wonderful day further!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have a blog about poker and a blog about atheism. You sound like one of those Christians I wouldn't have a problem with, but I still don't understand. ;-)

      Grundy isn't my real name.

      Aggro isn't all bad, just save that aggresive energy for when you think you have the best hand. Otherwise don't let your in-laws drink while playing. :-)

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha! I'll keep that in mind. Yeah... we could definitely be friends :)

      Delete