Wednesday 25 September 2013

What Happened to Conversation?

Do not get me wrong, I have been fully aware of the impact that technology has had on society's social skills.  It is absolutely no secret that teenagers (and adults) tend to be more comfortable in communicating via technology than in person.  Texting, chatting, posting and sharing seem to be the way to go. Additionally, more and more people I talk to admit to me that they prefer emailing or texting someone over actually speaking to them on the phone. I, myself, get jumpy whenever my phone rings because I am so weary that it might be about some sort of work or social "obligation" - this while normally it is just my husband phoning, which is alright. Point is, verbal communication and face-to-face contact is on the decrease, and I am wondering what the future may hold and what the impact of this might be on future generations.
 
 
I see that, instead of sorting out issues in a civilised manner, people prefer what I call "hate statuses" on Facebook, BBM, WhatsApp etc. etc. etc.  Backhand comments and hateful insults are being posted disguised as statuses, and I assume the culprit is supposed to notice immediately when these actually refer to him or her. "I don't exactly hate you, but if you were on fire and I had water, I’d drink it." was one of the posts I saw on Facebook the other day. Coincidentally I knew what the story was, and who the "culprits" and "victims" were, but I immediately felt annoyed, since doing things like that only worsen the situation and do not resolve anything. Besides, it is tacky. Especially when family, friends and other loved ones are involved. You sort your matters out with decency, and not where hundreds of viewers can read the latest in the "So-and-So-Saga". So, instead of proper conflict resolution, individuals have started settling for an indirect, hateful and public approach.
 
 
Aside from bad conflict resolution skills, individuals in society have less and less to say to one another, OR technology is just way better company. Looking at coffee dates, date nights, social events etc., more than half of the people around the table, fire or board game will be on their phones. And ironically, most people accept it that way.
 
 
High School Reunions get weird, because everyone already knows what everyone is doing, how many kids they have, how much weight they lost or gained, how many times they have been divorced, whether or not they're employed etc. etc. etc. All from Facebook. Viola! (By the way, nobody is ever as happy as their Facebook photos say - just saying).
 
 
This brings me to the very thing that many of us do. Since we do not have anything to say to one another in person anymore, we resort to watching movies and series on television. And then it hit me two days ago: what a load of dialogue! The characters in the stories are actually talking to one another - like ALL THE TIME... So we spend our days watching and listening to fictional characters doing the one thing we forgot how to do: TALKING.
 
 
What does the future hold?
 
 
I do not know.... if it was not for our need to actually eat food, I assume our mouths would have grown shut. I think, in terms of communication, the future looks silent. And for tech-developers, this silence is golden.


No comments:

Post a Comment